B'nai Mitzvah Program
What is the B'nai Mitzvah Program?
A young person's study and practice of our Jewish traditions, the Hebrew language, and the basic prayers of Judaism prepare him or her for becoming a Bar or Bat Mitzvah and culminate in a meaningful ceremony. Our B'nai mitzvah program prepares our youth for a wonderful experience leading the Torah service and inspiring the congregation with their words and wisdom.
The Bar or Bat Mitzvah is the beginning of a young person's journey as a responsible adult. It is the beginning of a lifetime studying Torah, the texts and stories that have sustained the Jewish people, and a commitment to the preserve our culture and traditions. It also marks a young person's commitment to make a difference in the world by pursuing justice and Shalom, peace, for all.
What are the components of Temple Chai's B'nai Mitzvah program?
- Hebrew School: The students become comfortable reading Hebrew, develop a basic vocabulary, and build an understanding of the Hebrew texts from Torah and Jewish literature.
- Torah Reading: The students are trained in reading Torah and Haftarah Trope
- Mitzvah Project: The students examine core Jewish values through a community service project that they select and complete independently. – Many of our members continue their projects long after the B'nai Mitzvah ceremony.
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah Club (BBM): Beginning six months prior to the student's Bar or Bat Mitzvah, they attend Wednesday B'nai Mitzvah classes and Shabbat Sessions where they explore the work of what it means to become a BBM. These Shabbat gatherings include activities such as Mitzvah projects and dinners or lunches followed by study sessions.
How does a family schedule and prepare for their child's Bar or Bat Mitzvah?
- In order to reserve a date for a Bar or Bat Mitzvah, we recommend that a date is selected immediately after the child's 11th birthday. To schedule this joyous event, contact Joan Neer at 602-971-1234 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download and review the B'nai Mitzvah Experience Handbook